RAIN PLAY: Artist and Maker Open Call
Artist + Maker Open Call: artists, designers, architects, experimental builders and crafts people.
Rain Play: Prototype commission for a Mobile Rain Play Installation that is most fun when it rains.
Deadline 24th Jun
Axis Ballymun are seeking submissions for a new project focused on creative responses to the climate crisis. Rain Play is a pilot project to design and build a prototype mobile Rain Play installation that is at its most fun when it rains.
Rain is Ireland’s largest, unused natural resource. Rain Play makes this resource our key collaborator; looking at all it offers to communities, to buildings and to nature as it travels in its loop from source to sea. Using creative interventions to create a paradigm shift in thinking and action around rain.
The goal for this project is a tangible change in how people feel about rain, as well as adapting the spaces we live in and use to be more resilient for future weather.
We are looking for submissions from artists, designers, architects, experimental builders and crafts people with interest in creative climate adaptations, to design and build a prototype Rain Play Installation. Ideally this should be durable and mobile so that it can be loaned to primary schools and community groups.
An example of a rain playground project can be found here:
The selected artist/maker will have a period of research and development during Summer 2022, followed by 4 sessions in September 2022 with local Ballymun primary school children to workshop and refine the initial design for the Rain Play installation
The prototype design and build phase will take place after pitching to key stakeholders, with installation envisaged to take place in October 2022.
The artist/maker will receive a fee of €3,000, with a separate materials budget.
How to Apply:
Please send the following items, either as a written document or a video or audio file (maximum five minutes via google drive or wetransfer if possible) to email@example.com on or before 6pm on Friday the 24th of June 2022
- Statement of Interest to include a description of why and how Rain Play intersects with, and benefits your current practice (max 500 words)
- You are welcome to include initial thoughts on how you would approach the Rain Play project
- Examples of previous work
- An indication of your access requirements (if any) and how we can assist with these
- Applicants must be over 18 in June 2022.
- Applicants may be shortlisted for an interview.
- Applicants will be required to undergo Garda Vetting.
- In line with our efforts to improve belonging, equality and diversity in Axis, if you would like to identify as an artist/maker from an underrepresented community, please let us know in your application. This is not essential or expected. It would help us to understand more about the artists/makers and people we are engaging with. Information collected will only be used in an anonymised fashion. In line with GDPR regulations, your information will not be shared with any third parties.
Have a question? Need help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask your question or request a call back. If email is tricky, please phone 01 883 2148 (please note that this phone number isn’t monitored constantly so you may need to leave a message with your name and number and we’ll call you back).
Rain Play is funded by ESB Brighter Future Arts Fund in Partnership with Business to Arts