Axis Assemble / Axis as Gaeilge
Axis Assemble / Axis As Gaeilge:
Theatre Artists Bursary Scheme
Applications are open for Axis’ bursary scheme to facilitate and mentor new work for the theatre.
Axis has offered mentorship, bursaries, space, development time and production to a range of theatre artists over the years, becoming a cultural hub on the Northside of Dublin and a space where artists and the public come together and assemble to develop and explore new work and new ideas.
Since 2004 Axis has produced new writing locally, nationally and internationally while also facilitating the development of hundreds of artists through our many programmes and initiatives. These have seen scripts and plays develop from floor and page to stage, some of which have gone on to be professionally produced and toured nationally. The first Axis Assemble bursary scheme ran in 2018. In the coming weeks we are looking to assemble some new creativity, new work and new opportunity for 2020. Thanks to our funders and partners we are expanding the scheme for 2020 and have up to €10000 in bursaries plus an additional €8000 in supports in kind to offer artists wishing to develop new work and ideas.
We’re aware that current circumstances have disrupted some dreams and plans, that some of us have more time than we expected on our hands. With this in mind as part of our #axisonline initiative, we have moved the Axis Assemble, Axis as Gaeillge and Axis Playground (paid residency for artists with disabilities) call out dates forward in the hopes that the weeks ahead may be a fruitful time in which to #DreamOutLoud and make an application. We’ll also be ensuring a quick turnaround in decision making and a prompt upfront payment of the initial bursary drawdown to Axis Assemble in case that’s of help.
Axis Assemble bursaries are available to theatre makers in any form (eg playwriting, devising, performance and there are up to five bursaries of up to €2000 (plus mentoring and supports in kind) available. We are especially keen to include practitioners wishing to develop TYA ideas/work in this call out and are also keen to hear from artists who wish to develop work and ideas as Gaeilge or bi-lingually. Beidh sparántacht thiomnaithe ar fáil d’ealíontóir atá ag iarraidh smaoineamh nó saothar a fhorbairt trí Gaeilge (nó ar bhonn dá theangach) agus é seo tacaithe ag Foras na Gaeilge.
Who is this for?
This bursary is for practitioners who have some professional experience (but need not necessarily have been professionally produced, but those who have can apply as well) wishing to develop new work. This bursary is for practitioners from the Greater Dublin area and we are particularly keen to hear from artist’s resident in / from or associated with Ballymun and / or the Northside of the city.
What is it For?
This bursary could be
- time / support for a playwright to write, develop / showcase a new play
- An Actor / group of actors to develop a new piece of work with collaborators
- A dancer to choreograph / develop a new piece of work
- A director to develop / showcase a new idea
- A new voice that is itching to get out and just needs support
- An ensemble needing space
- An amalgam of all the above
- A development staging of a piece
- It is a bursary to purchase time, get mentored, get theatre space, network, writing space, seed money for production and potentially, inclusion in future Axis seasons. It is not a fund to train, to purchase equipment or to travel.
What you get
- Bursary funding up to €2000
- (and up to the value of €2000 worth of support in kind as follows)
- Development time in the theatre from June to August 2020.
- 1 day / night in theatre for performance, showing / reading in November 2020
- Rehearsal space, (up to an agreed amount)
- Hot desk space
- Mentorship from axis production, sales and tech team
- Technical support for showing
- Ongoing blogging / vlogging on axis social media and website
- Invites to axis and other productions /networking opportunities
How to apply
Please send us
- An outline of your idea of what you are looking to develop and why.
- An outline of what you would use the time and funding for, an initial budget,
- An outline of why you particularly want to come and work in and with axis.
- The relevance of your work to the setting you will be developing it in.
- Sample of the work, or sample of previous work.
Applications must be clearly marked axis assemble or axis as Gaeilge. Axis as Gaeilge applications can be bi-lingual or go hiomlán trí Ghaeilge.
If written applications are difficult for you, you can address the above points in a video (no fancy production required, just make sure we can hear and, if relevant, see you clearly) and mail a wetransfer link to the gmail address above.
Who can apply?
- Artists resident in or from the Greater Dublin area, and we are particularly keen to hear from artist’s resident in / from or associated with Ballymun and / or the Northside of the city. Axis as Gaeilge is open to artists nationwide.
- Artists with an interest in developing work with axis.
- Writer / Director / Actor or Group / Company of same
The small print
- Applicants must be over 18 in March 2020.
- Applicants may be shortlisted for interview
- Axis will not be able to provide feedback on unsuccessful applicants
- The bursaries may be broken into smaller amounts and distributed to collaborators at the discretion of the organiser
- If any artist applying has additional access requirements, please note this in application.
- We may also offer non funded support to unsuccessful applicants as well if we are in a position to do so.
Axis Assemble is supported by The Arts Council / An Chomhairle Ealaíon, Foras na Gaeilge and Dublin City Council. Applications open Fri 3rd April and close Thur 30th April 2020 at 5pm. For further info or to ask a question, please email email@example.com.